Sunday 16 December 2012

Recent Reads

#1 1Q84 - Haruki Murakami (Books 1 and 2)
 
 
I enjoyed this book although it was 1000 pages long and took me a while to complete it. On the whole the book is a love story within a dystopian world. Each chapter alternates between the main characters, Aomame and Tengo. There are quite a few emotive quotes within the novel and there is alot of symbolism. This is not an easy read, so if you fancy an intellectual read, one which makes you think, this is for you.
 
This is the only book I have read by Haruki Murakami, I found the narrative prose at times to be a little long winded and boring, I skimmed quite a few pages to be honest because the description of things seemed to drag. After reading other reviews, readers advise to read other shorter work of Murakami before reading this due to his intense style of writing.
 
#2 The Perks of Being a Wallflower
 
 
OMG, I read this book in two days because I couldn't put it down. It is quite a short piece of teen literature, a very easy read but full of emotion and meaning. I read this because I knew the film was being released (which I haven't seen yet). I enjoyed and related to so many quotes within this book, I fell in love with the main character Charlie and his way of thinking. Would definitely recommend and can't wait to watch the film.
 
Quotes galore;
 
'we accept the love we think we deserve'
 
'there is nothing like deep breaths after laughing that hard. Nothing in the world like a sore stomach for the right reasons'
 
'things change and friends leave and life doesn't stop for anybody'
 
'I know these will all be stories someday. And our pictures will become old photographs. We'll all become somebody's mom or dad. But right now these moments are not stories. This is happening, I am here and I am looking at her. And she is so beautiful. I can see it. This one moment when you know you're not a sad story. You are alive, and you stand up and see the lights on the buildings and everything that makes you wonder. And you're listening to that song and that drive with the people you love most in this world. And in this moment I swear, we are infinite'
 
#3 Me Before You - Jojo Moyes
 

This book tugged at my heartstrings, I definitely blubbed whilst reading this one. Me Before You is my favourite of the four I have reviewed. I expected this book to be a fluffy chick lit read (judged solely by the cover), how wrong was I. Its intense subject matter kept me intrigued and took me on an emotional rollercoaster where I was left feeling happy, sad, angry and conflicted whilst at the same time feeling satisfied. Me Before You explores the time Louisa and Will spend together. A definite must read!
 
#4 Looking for Alaska - John Green
 
 
I've just finished reading this one. It was ok. It's another piece of teen lit, similar to The Perks of being a Wallflower but not as good. Looking for Alaska is about a young boy Miles and his time at boarding school. The main character has an obsession with last words and is on a mission to find the great perhaps along with the girl of his dreams Alaska. This is another easy read, but it didn't really keep me hooked and in the end I didn't care much for the characters either.

No comments:

Post a Comment